Know the Difference
What exactly is the difference between reach and engagement? Reach is best described as the number of unique viewers who see your content, while engagement is those who interact with your content. In other words, engagement is things such as likes, comments, share etc. Reach and engagement don’t go hand in hand, in fact, it’s very common to have higher reach numbers than engagement and vice versa.
Your brand’s content might be reaching your target audience but getting said audience to interact with the content can be challenging. There are several ways to expand your engagement numbers on social media, here are some to consider:
- Create posts with your customers in mind instead of your business. Think about what your customers would find most important and would feel compelled to interact with.
- Use social-media specific content and offers that will compel your target audience to follow your accounts.
- Incorporate things for your audience to actively engage in such as polls and questions for them to answer. Engagement is validation that your brand is better than the rest.
- Take time to interact with your followers, reply to comments, like posts they tag your brand in etc.
- Use your own voice, make interactions with followers as authentic as possible. Make them feel like there’s a person on the other end of their conversation.
It’s important to evaluate reach and engagement separately to see what aspects of your marketing strategy are working and which need to be improved. Keep in mind social media engagement can always be improved, there’s no maximum engagement level a brand can reach.